Sunday 23 October 2011

Top Five: Johnathan

Johnathan: Restaurant owner
Johnathan was all that I thought I wanted. He possessed qualities I found endearing and desirable. He had a stable career, intelligent, tall, great hair, etc. It's what every girl wants. Or so I thought.

We met many, many years ago and my first impression was that he was an arrogant jerk. We had mutual friends who all had favourable opinions of him and it turns out he had a favourable opinion of me. In fact he had a little 'crush', as he'd later tell me. He worked hard to get to know me and sway my previous feelings towards him and yes, I found his efforts endearing and fell for his charm. Suddenly, arrogance was confidence, bluntness was honesty, and ostentatious became generous. We dated for nearly two years. The chemistry was great and we never fought. But we also rarely saw each other and our relationship stalled just past the starting line.

I eventually ended our relationship shortly after he'd cancelled yet another date because he sent me a text message he was going to play video games with his brother. These a both men in their twenties. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. We hadn't seen each other in a month and any attempt to speak candidly about us was impossible.

He later went on to post some cutesy analogy on Facebook about a steak without sauce may not be what you ordered but if the steak is good, be happy. I paraphrased because I don't remember the exact quote. I knew exactly what he was talking about and while many people 'liked' his comment, I had a mixture of rage and relief wash over me. How dare he suggest that settling for anyone is ever okay (the part that made me angry). And then I felt relief to not be with someone who ever felt that way.

My opinion is that dating is an experimental time in everyones' lives. Much like buying new shoes, you have to try on different styles before you find the one you choose to invest in. Dating definitely provides a learning curve and for me, Johnathan taught me (among other things) that when it comes to your heart, you should never settle.

NEXT;; Top Five: Linken

No comments:

Post a Comment