Tuesday 25 October 2011

Top Five: Anthony

Anthony is a ghost to me now. My heart aches when I think about him. We don't see each other anymore because sometimes, it's just better that way.

He was my best friend for the longest time. All our friends would tell me that he was in love with me and I loved him too- just not that way. One day, he finally came out and told me how he felt and I told him that I felt the same. I lied to Anthony. Suddenly we had graduated from friends to couple status. How could I let this happen?

I think the end was inevitable. I broke his heart when I finally told the truth and we had an honest conversation about our relationship and friendship that lasted three days cast over an ocean of tears. It all fell apart but six months later we reunited as friends. To me this was the best feeling ever, that now we were in a more honest place and we were better for it. At least that's what I thought.

We stayed strong for years, even while I fell in and out of love with different guys. He had dated a few girls along the way too but nothing was ever serious. It never occurred to me that he might still love me even though he was always there for me, until one day he wasn't. Anthony stopped seeing me and when I eventually saw him again he told me he'd fallen for someone. It was strange because in a way, it was like we were breaking up. This was painful and necessary. I'd lost my best friend but without me around, he found love.

Anthony reminds me of that poem from 'A Walk To Remember'- by Nicholas Sparks;
“Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Loves is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It dose not take offense and is not resentful. Love take no pleasure in others people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.”
  He's now married to the angel that rescued his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment